Mrs. Hannah M. Kelly passed away December 4, 1927, a beautiful Sabbath morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J.T. Jewett, Robstown, Texas. She was born in Sunbury County in the province of New Brunswick, July 1, 1835. Her parents were Rebecca (Hartt) & David Longfellow Kelly. She taught a few terms of school before her marriage in 1857 to Capt. John S. Kelly. With him she made several voyages to the West Indies. In 1859 they came to Dodge County, Wisconsin, where they made a home together. Seven children were theirs, four of whom survive, Mrs. J. T. Jewett, Miss Olive V. Kelly of Robstown, Texas, D. E. Kelly of Madison, WI., H. Kelly of Fort Atkinson. Three grandsons also survive her, Pennell C. Kelly of Ft. Stockton, Texas, Curtis H. Kelly of Chicago, IL and a great-grandson, Pennell C. Kelly, Jr. She united with the church when about 16 yrs of age. She was a member of the First Congregational Church of this city nearly 40 yrs, having joined with her family soon after removing to Whitewater, that her sons might have the advantages afforded by the state normal school. She was active in club life and was a member of the Chautauqua scientific and literary circle, receiving her diploma in the early 1890’s. She was a member of the Junto club and their parting gift to her in 1911 was warmly cherished. At the time of her death she was a beloved honorary member of the Alpha Literary Club of Robstown, Texas. She was also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. She was an active member of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union for nearly 40 yrs. During her long residence in this city she rarely missed a church service. The mid-week prayer meeting was dear to her. Largely to her efforts, was due the organization of the Sunday School class called “The Helpers”. Since 1911 she has been here at intervals spending the most of the time with her daughter in Robstown, Texas where she greatly endeared herself to a large circle of friends, many of whom were among the younger people of the community. At the advanced age of 92 her interest in life was vital. In June 1926, she went with her daughter, Miss Olive V. Kelly to her childhood home in New Brunswick, Canada. She also visited relatives in several of the eastern states and in October came to Wisconsin to visit her sons and her friends in various places. She returned to Robstown, Texas last January in the same good health which she enjoyed during her trip. She loved her friends both near and far away. Many were the tokens of love from nearby friends. Letters from absent ones and the “Whitewater Register” were eagerly read. A friend in writing her said “One thing I have always had in mind and spoken of so often, she always spoke well of everyone and seemed to see the good in all with whom she came in contact”. The funeral was held at the M.E. Church, South Robstown, Texas and was largely attended. The floral offering was large and exquisite, the singing was sympathetic and comforting; the sermon by her beloved pastor, the Rev. K. W. Spellman, was a fitting eulogy for her long and useful life. At the close of this service all that was mortal was brought to Dodge County, Wisconsin accompanied by Mr. & Mrs. J. T. Jewett and Miss Olive V. Kelly. Upon arriving at Burnett the remains were taken to the home of Mrs. Ella J. Clifford, where beautiful flowers from relatives and friends had been sent. Here the Rev. Robbins of Beaver Dam conducted a short service. About sun down in the presence of her sorrowing family and old time friends, after a prayer by the minister, she was laid to rest by the side of her husband who died in 1876. Her beautiful life is a treasured memory to those who knew her. Her influence will never cease. May the memory of her consecrated life rest a benediction upon us all.
Burnett Corner, Dodge County
Photos may be scaled; click on image to view full sized.