CHURCH OF LINDSAY CELEBRATE’S 150TH ANNIVERSARY
The Lindsay Church was organized on March 10, 1848, under the leadership of Rev. Samuel Hartt in the Free Baptist Church of the seventh tier with four members: William and Charles Baker, Elijah Briggs Sr., and Mrs. Joanna Briggs.
In 1905, there were 34 members. In 1900, the church was remodeled and rededicated during the pastorage of Rev. J. J. Barnes. In 1905, the Baptist and Free Baptist denominations united and became the United Baptist Church of Lindsay. This union made it necessary to be on a field with Jacksonville, Jacksontown and South Wakefield with Dr. C. J. Phillips as pastor.
The sixties brought renewal and revival with 21 being added to the membership. 1983 marked a new chapter. The larger churches on the field decided to call their own pastors, leaving Lindsay on its own. Later the Pembroke church joined with Lindsay until 1997.
The church attendance continued to grow; Sunday school space was limited. The Lord continued to bless the ministry and the church seats were filled. In 1992, the membership agreed to purchase additional property and build a new building that would meet the community’s need for future generations.
On Oct 10, 1993, the first service was held in the new church with 185 in attendance under the leadership of Rev. Allan Myshrall.
Taken from the Carleton Victoria Advertiser May 29, 1998